Events on Tybee Island
Tybee hosts several events during the winter months, all of which provide great fun and activities for the entire family. Check below for more information on area activities on Tybee for the holidays.
- SCAD Sidewalk Art Festival – April 23rd. The Sidewalk Arts Festival, a signature annual event that began only a couple of years after the founding of SCAD, is the highlight of the weekend, as students and alumni create temporary chalk-art masterpieces of the pavement of scenic Forsyth Park.
- Annual Tybee Turtle Trot 5K – April 30th. KICK-OFF FOR COASTAL GEORGIA’S SEA TURTLE NESTING SEASON.Nesting season for Georgia’s sea turtles officially starts on May 1st. The Turtle Trot is a fundraiser for the Tybee Island Marine Science Center’s Sea Turtle Conservation Fund. Our Tybee Sea Turtle Project watches over the island’s nesting sea turtles and their hatchlings. For more information click here.
- SCAD Sand Art Festival – May 6th. It’s one for the bucket list. Spend the day on Tybee Island’s picturesque North Beach and watch in awe as elaborate creations rise from the sand and move in the wind. Enjoy the picture-perfect setting and cheer on your favorite SCAD artists. Just make sure to get there before the tide comes in! Click here for more information.
- EVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour – May 7th. The EVP® Beach Volleyball Tour’s primary aim is to support beach volleyball events that engage families, fans, athletes, students, communities and sponsors in a great day at the beach. At each event, spectators will not only see elite athletes compete on the sand for top honors, they also have the chance to interact with the pros by participating in contests and promotions at hosting venues. Click here to visit EVP site.
- Tybee Island Tour of Homes – May 14th. The 2016 19th Annual Tybee Island Tour of Homes will be on Saturday, May 14, 2016 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.Tickets are $35 each. Lunch is included with the price of the ticket and will be served at Tybee Island Maritime Academy. The tour will benefit the school.This year’s artist for the Tour is Beverly Waite, a Tybee artist and Tybee Island Maritime Academy grandparent! Click here for more information.
- Beach Bum Parade – May 20th. Come prepared to be soaked at the 30th Annual Tybee Beach Bum Parade! This classic Tybee event is a favorite for the whole family. Equip yourself with waterguns and other water soaking paraphernalia to douse the passing by parade floats. Click here for more information.
- Free Family days at Telfair Museums – Family Days are fun, educational and FREE! Enjoy hands on art projects, gallery exploration activities, story time and much more designed specifically for the entire family! Create DIY masterpieces, play art detective, or explore the ArtZeum, an interactive arts space. With gallery activities on our mobile Art Cart, everyone can get in on the art and the action. Click here for more information.
- Community of Caring – Nov 26th – January 1st, various locations throughout Tybee collect donations to share in the true meaning of the season. Fore more information and for drop-off locations for donations, Click Here
- Small Business Saturday – Nov 28th , (small business Saturday falls between “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” every year. Come celebrate shopping small at locally owned and operated business on Tybee Island. This special “shop small” Saturday is a nationwide movement when consumers, like you, hit the pavement and show your support of your favorite homegrown business. For participating business and hours of operation Click Here.
- Tybee Salutes Heroes 2015! –Nov 13, 2015 – Nov 15, 2015 Join us in thanking our military men and women during this island-wide celebration.Active and former military personnel are invited to bring their families for a relaxing weekend of activities on Tybee Island. Weekend highlights include family-friendly events at the American Legion and the Tybee Salutes Heroes Parade on Saturday, November 14. For more info click here.
- The Pickle Run 2015 – Nov 28th, On November 25, 2008, Dylan Robert Hall was born here in Savannah, Georgia. Despite a healthy pregnancy, Dylan suffered meconium aspiration along with 2 other bacterial infections during delivery. The doctors weren’t sure he’d survive his first night. On Thanksgiving Day, two days after his birth, Dylan had shown enough improvement so that mom and dad could hold their baby boy for the first time. As the days went on, ‘Dyl Pickle’ proved to be a strong healthy baby that just happened to be born very sick. During the two weeks Dylan spent in the hospital, the Hall family discovered how lucky they were to live in Savannah where the level of care their baby required was just down the street. Many of the families had to drive long distances to visit their children in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery. This is where the Ronald McDonald House® comes in. Established in 1987, the Savannah Ronald McDonald House has provided a “Home away from home” for more than 5,000 families. The House has 13 bedrooms with private baths, a communal living room and kitchen, dining and laundry areas. Each night volunteers from the community provide a home-cooked meal for the families to share. To celebrate Dylan’s 7th birthday, the Huc-a-poos and Hall families would like to invite you to participate in the 7th annual Pickle Run to support our local Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Coastal Empire! For Registration click here.
- Community Decorating Day – Nov 28th, come out and help decorate he island for the holidays! All are welcome to meet at the Pavilion at Memorial Park to pick up decorations for five special areas on the Island. Then, off you go with decorations in hand to help make the Island festive! Students can receive community service hours too. For more information Click Here.
- Best Decorated Business – Nov 27th – Dec 4th , Every year holiday decorations are hung with care throughout our nostalgic island. Merchants light up their storefronts with festive bulbs, display festive ornaments and favorite characters depicting holiday memories are painted for all to see along the windows. During the Lights on for Tybee celebration, awards will be presented by Tybee Beautification Association to the Best Decorated Businesses. The public is encouraged to participate by submitting nominations for your favorites! Voting will take place between Thanksgiving Day and December 4. Nominations can be emailed here.
- Lights on for Tybee – December 4th Lights on for Tybee Time: 6:30pm HOLIDAY LIGHTS! MUSIC! DANCING! SHOPPING! DINING! A celebratory Tybee tradition downtown with the tree lighting and holiday joy! You are invited to partake in the festive Island spirit as the Mayor lights the Christmas tree at the Roundabout, the choirs sing, and Glor na Daire Academy of Irish Dance students perform. Throughout the evening celebration, performers with the Tybee Arts Performing Society will be strolling along Tybrisa & Strand invoking the old fashioned Christmas spirit. Children can also enjoy gently falling snowflakes from the Sea & Breeze throughout the evening.
- Tybee Island Christmas Parade –Dec 5th, Tybee Island Christmas Parade Everyone loves a parade especially during the holidays! The parade begins at 1:00pm from the 14th Street parking lot (behind Ocean Plaza) and travels up Tybrisa to Butler Avenue then to the Tybee Gym where children will have photo time with Santa! The Tybee YMCA will have surprises for all to enjoy at the gym. For parade application Click Here.
- New Year’s Eve Fireworks – Dec 31st , curl up in your beach chair or on a blanket to watch the spectacular fireworks display as they are set off from the Walter W. Parker Pier & Pavilion at midnight. Fireworks can be seen from the beach as well as from the variety of beachfront restaurants.
- Annual Tybee Polar Plunge – Jan 1st , Dress up, have fun and jump into the Atlantic with thousands of your closest friends to celebrate the beginning of 2015! Please click here for more information and how you can register for this event!